|Wing Load (kg/m2)||370|
|Power load (kg/hp)||5.18|
|Cabin size LxWxH||?m3|
First cargo transport in the World to pioneer classic configuration: high placed wing with loading ramp under the tail. Four-wheel main undercarriage bogies, which retract into blisters on ether side of fuselage, allow operation from grass fields. Large loading door allows quickly load necessary cargo or 42...48 fully equipped paratroopers. Equipped as medium range airliner, An-8 carries 70 passangers. Navigator is placed in glazed nose, typical for Soviet aircraft chin radar is installed. Initially 5100hp NK-2M turboprops with 4-blade propellers were filled. During service, those were replaced by less powerful, but more reliable and economical 4190hp AI-20D. New engines were installed in same nacells.
An-8 was first true assault transport to serve with the Soviet Military Transport Aviations (VTA). In service since 1956, still seen in service in Germany in 1971. One is reported to be used as environment monitoring platform over North Korea during China 1966 nuclear tests.
Around 100 built, few are still in service scattered all over the World. Mostly with Russian avia-companies, some with African companies. While most An-8 used to have an overall grey color scheme with just a narrow blue cabin stripe and Aeroflot lettering applied to its side, the late second blossoming of the type in African skies may well add some more colorful liveries to the An-8 gallery.
|Photo of An-8 at Monino|
|None. First of the line.||
|Modified August 04, 1999||Back to|