|Wing Load (kg/m2)
|Power load (kg/hp)
|Speed at 0m
Farman-IV, F-4, Farman Trainer,
Farman-IV on the ground (50k) from
"History of aircraft construction in the USSR"
, Vol.1 p.142;
The most widely used and popular '
in Russia during
1916. Hundreds of
Russian aviators made their first flight on Farman-IV.
Only few Farman-IV's were purchased in France. But many hundreds were
built at various workshops and factories, ranging from homebuilts to large batches from
Dux and other
serious manufacturers. As a result total number of built aircraft and its modifications
are unaccountable. Most of them were powered by 50hp Gnome
Description provided by prof.N.A.Rynin: 3-strut biplane with tail frame.
Engine is mounted on the lower wing, driving pusher propeller. Ailerons had only lower control
cables and were hanging down while aircraft is in rest. Aircraft is built of wooden elements,
connected by very basic joints and enforced by bracing wires.
Wing was covered with fabric only from below. As a result wing had 'not an
airfoil but something unimaginable', as pilots giggled. But it was fine, thanks to very small
The most common modification of F-4 included two-side fabric cover on the
wing and ribs with more advanced airfoil. Those basic improvements, first performed by Russian
aviators, allowed pilot M.A.Gaber-Vlynskij to set several ceiling records
(April 13, 1913) :
pilot with 5 passengers - 1120m
pilot with 4 passengers - 1350m
pilot alone - 3000m
Some Russian Farman-IV's were built of bamboo instead of pine. During winter
season wheels were replaced by skis.
Aircraft was not used for military purposes.
- Farman-IV by
factory had substantially increased wingspan, single rudder, landing skis were much longer (like
on Farman-III). Wing airfoil was not revised, but cover was on both
sides. This aircraft was built in series under supervision of engineer V.V.Bartoshevich.
- 'Farman' by French aviator Christians (?) was presented on the First Petersburg Aviation Week in
It differed by additional small wheels on forward-extended skis. Aircraft
was purchased by the Military Department as a trainer for Gatchina Aviation School. Speed was 57km/h.
- 'Farman-IV' with 60hp liquid-cooled ENV engine was flown in the School of Turkestan
Aviation Society by Shavrov, officer of the Central Headquarters. It was the first aircraft built by
- Few were built in
with 55hp l.c.Renault engine.
- 'Novgorod The Great' - built at Novgorod section of the Russian Aeroclub. Had 2-side wing and
tailplane/elevator cover, lower wing had smaller than usual size.
- 'Farman-IV' by A.K.Tikhomirov was built in Moscow,
Trainer with switchable second set of controls.
- 'Farman-IV' of Odessa Naval Battalion was built in April
Upper wing was larger than lower one and supported by upper kingpost. One of Odessa Farmans was flown by
aviator S.Utochkin (1876-1916).
- 'Farman-IV' by B.S.Maslennikov was built in
for flight Petersburg-Moscow. Differed by pinpointed nose shell, covering controls and pilot's legs.
'Farman-Aviata' was built in Warsaw by Aviata Enterprise. 60hp Argus
engine provided speed up to 80km/h. Struts were replaced by upper kingposts, landing skis extended
forward, lower wing is smaller than usual. Few were accepted by Military Department. Note that at the time
Poland was part of Russia.
- 'Farman-IV' by
had pilot's seat moved 1.5m forward. Front elevator was removed. Performance was not harmed.
- German built 'Farman-Albatros' with minor changes in upper wing design served in Gatchina Aviator
School near St.Petersburg.
- 'Farman-Bristol' aka 'Farman-V'
- 'Farman Militer' was almost identical to Farman-IV. Few obtained by Russia in
- "History of aircraft construction in the USSR", Vol.1 p.140-143;
- Farman MF.4