Lebed-XVI


Reconnaissater with crew of three, twin-engine (pair of 80hp Rhone powerplants) biplane (2-strut). Engines with tractor propellers were installed on the leading edge of the lower wing and covered with aerodynamic fairings. Upper wing was larger than the lower one. Landing gear was same as on the Lebed-XII.

Fuselage had plywood cover. Observer with machinegun occupied front cockpit, pilot - the middle one, and mechanic with second machinegun - rear cockpit. Though adequate protection was provided.

Aircraft was finished in 1916 and flown in early 1917, demonstrating good performance (pilot A.P.Goncharov). By unknown reasons it was abandoned. May it was be too good?



References:
  • "History of aircraft construction in the USSR", Vol.1 p.184;

  • Modified October 5, 1997 Back to
    Main Gate