This aircraft indeed could bring reputation of the 'Lebed' enterprise to the world highest level. Assembly started in 1915, and for years its design (by L.D.Kolpakov-Miroshnichenko) was far ahead of other large aircraft.
3-strut biplane (upper wing much larger than the lower one) was powered with two 150hp 'Salmson' engines. Engines with tractor propellers were installed between the wings and covered with aerodynamic nacelles. Gas tanks were located behind the engines in same nacells, separated by firewalls.
Fuselage was of (almost) circular cross section. Tail section is conical (plywood), nose section of very clean shape glued of many layers of thin plywood.
Crew of four included nose gunner, observer/photographer/gunner, pilot and rear gunner. Three machineguns provided practically complete spherical defence.
Whole construction was very light, despite somewhat complicated. It was a clear type of a medium bomber, despite in paperwork it appeared as a 'large fighter'. With calculated speed 140km/h and payload 900kg it could be a great aircraft... But Lebedev factory was busy replicating obsolete 'Albatros' derivatives, and Lebed-XIV was abandoned.
|Modified October 6, 1997||Back to|