|Engines||1*100hp Gnome Monosoupape|
|Wing Load (kg/m2)||25.3|
|Armament||none or 1*mg7.62mm|
Biplane flying boat, result of two years of efforts by D.P.Grigorovich to find optimal fuselage shape, wings airfoil and general layout for a light flying boat (see M-1, M-2, M-3/Sch-3, M-4/Sch-4). At last it was a success! Lower wing was increased and attached directly to the top of the hull ('boat'). Tail had trapezoidal section, and its very end was raised to carry tailplane and rudder. Tail skid was finally deleted.
M-5 was very easy to fly, on sea it accepted waves up to 0.5m. Flight tested early Spring 1915, it was in production starting April 1915, and was built until 1923. Mass production of the M-5 (and its latest modifications) allowed to retire 'foreign' hydroplanes and flying boats, most of which were of mediocre performance.
M-5 was intended as a reconnaissater. Commonly unarmed, sometimes carried a machinegun in front of the right seat. When yet more advanced M-9 was ready in 1916, the M-5 was assigned to pilot training. Indeed, its speed was just 105km/h with new engine and 'fresh' dry fuselage.
Attempts to increase the speed by using more powerful engine (110 or 120hp Rhone, 130hp Clerget) failed. Aircraft became harder to fly (due to propeller reaction). In order to compensate increased weight it was necessary to raise nose in flight - and drag consumed increase of the engine power.
Used during WWI and Russian Civil War, in service until 1925.
One of biggest combats M-5 participated was the "air defence of Baku" (July-August 1918), when Red Army M-5s and M-9s carried out photoreconnaissance, artillery spotting, air combat and bomb raids, dropping 6000kg bombs and 160kg arrows.
|Modified September 17, 1997||Back to|