In late 1920 contest (aimed on development single-seat floatplane fighter) was called by UVVS. On Taganrog Works (former branch of 'Lebed' enterprises) team of designers responded with MK-1 project. Construction was finished in Petrograd at factory 'Krasnyj Letchik' (The Red Pilot).
The most interesting in MK-1 is its fuselage - very clean plywood monocoque, completely hiding the engine. Radiator was integrated into central section of the upper wing.
On Spring 1923 floatplane was ready. Once on water, MK-1 dipped its tail - two floats were too small. When they were enlarged - aircraft became too heavy for its engine. It failed to takeoff. At the time the very concept of floatplane fighter was abandoned by all supporters.
N.G.Mikhelson installed MK-1 on normal landing gear, and during Winter 1923- 1924 aircraft was flown on skis under designation 'Rybka' (The little Fish). But in 1924 fighter with 200hp engine was obsolete, despite airdynamic perfection. Speed was too low...
|Modified December 5, 1997||Back to|