Technical data
Type Pe-2
Function Bomber
Year 1940
Crew 3
Engines 2*1100hp M-105
Length 12.6m
Wingspan 17.6m
Wing area 40.5m2
Empty weight 5863kg
Loaded weight 7563kg
Wing Load (kg/m2) 186
Power load (kg/hp) 3.4
Speed at 0m 452km/h
Speed at 5000m 540km/h
Landing Speed 240km/h
Landing Roll ?m
Takeoff Roll ?m
Range 1200km
Ceiling 8800m
Climb
5000m 9.3min
Payload
Fuel+Oil 1000+150l
Armament
Guns 2*7.62mm ShKAS (nose)
2*7.62mm ShKAS (dorsal and ventral)
Bombs 6*100kg FAB-100 internal
4*250kg FAB-250 external

Pe-2 1940, V.M.Petlyakov

8k b/w drawing of early series Pe-2 from "History of aircraft construction in the USSR", Vol.1 p.157

The Pe-2 was designed by an imprisoned team as a very advanced high-altitude fighter, the '100'. There was no need for such aircraft, and the aircraft went on to become a very good fast light bomber.

Necessary modifications included reducing of nose armament to pair of ShKAS and adding of glazing necessary for performing bombing missions. Navigator was moved close to pilot's cockpit, his seat was shifted to the right, providing better front-down sight for navigator. Remotely controlled turret was replaced by single ShKAS in Navigator's cockpit. This (quite primitive) installation (Toropov's setup) provided rear hemisphere protection 200° horizontally and 56° vertically.

Pilot had 9mm armored seat, pair of 9mm armor plates protected him and navigator from the sides.

Radio-operator had single ShKAS in ventral position. Radio operator could use hatch on top of fuselage to observe rear hemisphere (in case if navigator is killed or wounded).

During production and service armament was gradually increased by replacing ShKAS machineguns by more effective UB and adding another ShKAS (which could be moved to right or left side position) to the gunner's inventory.

Three internal bomb bays could accommodate six FAB-100 bombs: four in the fuselage and one in each engine nacells, behind the wheel niches. This bombload was obviously insufficient, and four external hardpoints allowed to carry up to 1000kg (four FAB-250) bombs.

Radiators located in wing tunnels. Soft protected fuel tanks (number varied from 5 to 9) are in the fuselage and wings, all equipped with external and internal neutral gas filling. Wing equipped with flaps (assisting on both takeoff and landing), ailerons and airbrakes. Airbrakes (grid of steel tubes) were activated by AP-1 (dive automatics unit) to limit dive speed. Another AP-1 automatically started dive sequence (by signal from bomb sight) and pulled aircraft out of dive on preset altitude.

Pe-2 was the first Soviet aircraft with wide use of electric motors. About 50 (2 to 30Watt) were used for various control goals.

With advance of German troops, production of Pe-2 was moved to Siberia. Mass production restarted in early 1942.

Pe-2s were commonly used in loose formations to take maximum advantage from its speed and agility, deserving the nickname 'Russian Mosquito'. To be fair - beautiful Mosquito should be dubbed "British Peshka" (Peshka=Pawn was front-line nickname of Pe-2), because Pe-2 was of earlier design.

PredecessorsModifications

'100'

Pe-2 1941 series

ReferencesLinks
  • "History of aircraft construction in the USSR", Vol.2 p.157-160;
  • Pe-2 at Watson's Military
  • Pe-2 at Virtual Aircraft Museum
  • Pe-2 at Michael Fletcher's Site;
  • PB-100, Petlyakov
  • Pe-2, Petlyakov
  • DOO Flightsimulator page by Oleg Devjatkin;
  • Soviet female pilots on WWII by Rolando Silva

  • Created January 25, 1996
    Modified January 12, 1999
    Back to
    Main Gate