|Wing Load (kg/m2)||25.2|
|Power load (kg/hp)||10.3|
|Speed at 0m||99km/h|
|Climb to 1000m||5.0min|
According to "History of aircraft construction in the USSR", this the first twin-tail aircraft. It was intended to serve as 2-seat reconnaissater with dual controls.
Its construction allowed two persons to disassemble aircraft in 5 minutes and pack it in box as small as 3.7x1.8x1.7m3. Wing spars were reinforced by steel strips. Special waterproof glue, invented by A.A.Porokhovschikov himself, was used. Aircraft was built at designer's apartment (at 6th floor!).
First tests (August 15, 1914) took place on Komendant's airfield, pilot - M.L.Grigorashvili. Performance was above any expectations - aircraft with 50hp engine showed 99km/h speed with 256kg payload (almost equal to the empty weight!). Military Department suggested production of few 'Bi-Cocque's at aircraft factory belonging to F.F.Tereschenko, but A.A.Porokhovschikov refused. He wanted to build his aircraft himself and not few but for a whole detachment. Agreement was not reached, and promising design was lost for military.
Among interesting tests with this flying machine, it was tried with caterpillar landing gear (probably the first attempt in the world). Caterpillar was made of a heavy fabric tape and seven wooden 'barrels'. It performed normally, but did not find practical applications.
|Modified September 9, 1997||Back to|