|Wing Load (kg/m2)||25|
|Power load (kg/hp)||17.6|
Very unusual monoplane of symmetrical design. Elevator (in front) was of same shape as a tailplane (behind). Rudder and fin were located on the tail. Wing (covered with few layers of pergament paper) was equipped with ailerons. Fuselage (four-longerones frame) carried engine and slick pilot's cockpit. Chain-driven tractor propellers (2.5m diameter, 450rpm) were world first variable pitch propellers built!.
Luka Vasilievich Shkolin was a self-educated inventor. Design of the 'Russian Monoplane' was ready in 1909, and during whole year Shkolin was looking for financial support in Odessa and later in Kharkiv. At last factory owner V.A.Balin provided designer with 3000 roubles. The condition was to build aircraft on his factory in Uzha village (Vladimir Goubernia/County). At the end of 1910 aircraft was almost ready, but Shkolin run out of money. Balin refused to continue support. Russian Technical Society asked him to allow exhibition of the 'Russian Monoplane' in Kharkiv, but Balin refused again and held aircraft on his factory. There it vanished.
|30k picture from "History of aircraft construction in the USSR", Vol.1 p.50, used as a background;|
|Modified September 23, 1997||Back to|