|Function||Trainer||Light Bomber||Proto- type|
|Wing area (m2)||17.2|
|Wing Load (kg/m2)||50||55||67||53|
|Power load (kg/hp)||8.6||9.4||10||?|
|Roll (m, sec)|
|Landing||235, 16||200, 15||?||?|
|Takeoff||200, 13||175, 12.5||?||?|
After successful prototype trials, mass production of UT-2 started in November 1937 on two factories. Technological simplicity gave the trainer production quick start, and it was eventually expanded to five factories, totaling 7243.
When first batches of UT-2 arrived to the airfields of training units, dangerous flat spin behaviour was noticed. Aircraft easily entered spin, and was too slow getting out. Extensive studies in Yakovlev KB (test-pilot V.L.Rastorguev) allowed to solve problem by minimal changes (controls adjustment plus tailplane installation angle).
Modified UT-2 entered production in 1941 as UT-2M. It utilized higher quality materials and differed by increased wing anhedral and sweep, revised shape of the tail surfaces, decreased ailerons area and other minor details. UT-2M had very good handling, never entered the flat spin. In case of steep spin it was enough to keep controls in neutral position.
Some batches had 115hp M-11D engine. Those aircraft had increased ceiling 4700m instead 3500. Two airframes were fitted with MV-6 engine (aircraft 'N°23', 'N°24'), but this change did not enter series production.
During the War some UT-2's were armed and used as light bombers (like the U-2). Those variants (UT-2MV among them) carried 200kg (or more) of bombs. In 'field' workshops some UT-2 were armed with one or two ShKAS machineguns, RS-82 rockets were fitted. None of those armed version was built in series.
Since 1942 a 'divergent' design started taking shape. It had a green-house glazed canopy, later received fairings covering engine cylinders, new undercarriage, tailwheel instead of tailskid, landing flaps... It was finished and flown in 1943, getting designation 'UT-2 standard 1944' (sometimes mistaken as UT-2MV). It was an obvious transition to the post-war line of Yakovlev's trainers and aerobatic machines. Second suggested role of this aircraft was a liaison, in this configuration it had increased fuel capacity and takeoff weight of 991kg.
|Created January 25, 1996
Modified October 18, 1999